The Three Daggers has been a focal point in Edington for over 250 years. Formerly the Paulet Arms and most recently the Lamb, it was originally opened in 1750 by Harry Paulet, the Lord of Edington Manor. The Paulet Arms was a rest stop for travelers while changing horses before heading up the often treacherous Salisbury Plain. It was well known throughout Wiltshire for its warm and friendly atmosphere, as a great place to spend the night, drink a pint of beer with the locals and enjoy a tasty meal. The Paulet Arms was commonly referred to as "The Three Daggers" as few people could read a word but everybody could recognize the Paulet family's imposing coat of arms.
In 1332 William of Edingon, Bishop of Winchester founded a college for priests in the village. It later became a monastery for the Augustiniun Order of Bonshommes.
In the 15th century, William Ayscough who was Bishop of Salisbury and confessor to Henry VI, was forced to flee Salisbury because of a rebellion that happened during that time. He fled to Edington and took refuge at the Church but was unfortunately later discovered. On the 29th June 1450, he was taken from the High Alter during Mass and murdered in the fields outside the church.
The Priory Church is a magnificent building and well worth a visit for anyone interested in architecture or local history.
Located just a few miles outside of Edington in Wiltshire, Keevil Airfield was an important Royal Air Force (RAF) base during World War II, serving as the training grounds for many of the military's glider fleets. Though Keevil was officially closed'in 1965, it remains a a vital part of the community. These days, Keevil is home to the Bannerdown Gliding Club, where paragliding enthusiasts soar even higher through the air, thanks to the thermal and ridge lifts of the Salisbury Plain-just like the military glider fleets before them.
Interested in experiencing Keevil Airfield for yourself? The Bannerdown club offers individual and group gliding lessons on weekends throughout the year.
Considered one of the most mysterious sites in the world, Stonehenge-a prehistoric monument believed to have been erected around 2500BC-is less than 30 minutes southeast of Edington. Some believe the standing stones to serve as markers for a sacred burial ground, while others believe it to be a place of healing. Scholars and laypersons alike continue to debate over its method of construction, its meaning, and its significance, but one thing they all agree on is that it is one of the most fascinating places on Earth.
Another mystery that continues to intrigue locals and visitors alike is that of the Westbury White Horse (also known as the Bratton White Horse), located just outside of Edington on the Salisbury Plain. The horse, fashioned from chalk, is thought to be the oldest of several white horses carved in Wiltshire in the late 1700s. Some believe that the horse is a symbol intended to commemorate a victorious battle by King Alfred, while others think that the horse was created as a sign of loyalty to the House of Hanover. No matter what its origin, the horse can still be seen today gracing the hillside of the Salisbury Plain.